There are a lot of recruitment agencies out there who are only too willing to acquire your CV and find you a job. But, given the competitive nature of the workplace, how do you know that it’s the right recruiter for you? If you want to climb the employment ladder, you’ll want to make absolutely sure that the recruitment agency can help you.
Finding the Right Recruiter
Before going to a recruitment agency, you want to know what type of job you are looking for. A recruiter can only do so much to help, so you’ll need to give them some guidance on what your skills are and where your strengths lie. There’s a big difference between a recent graduate with little idea for their future career, and someone who has been working for a decade or more and has a firm idea of their next career.
In large part, this will inform the type of recruitment agency you visit. A general recruitment agency will cover many fields of employment and generally offer greater reach. But if you’re a specialist, you’ll want to visit a recruitment agency that specialises in jobs in your field of expertise. For example, an IT recruitment agency will offer a range of roles in the IT sector only and will have an understanding of this sector.
Advice On What to Look For In a Recruitment Agency
Once you have an idea of what type of career you’re looking for, consider the following advice on how to decide on the right agency for your needs.
- As stated, if you are in specialised work, look for recruitment agencies that specialise in this area. You’ll find that they have a greater understanding of requirements in your niche than agencies that cover a broader range of roles.
- Make sure that the recruitment agency has an office in your area so you can get there easily as you look for work. Being there early will mean that you have access to fresher job postings.
- How many job postings do they put up? What types of jobs are they, and do they suit your level of experience? There’s little point in going to a recruiter that mainly advertises senior roles if you don’t have the experience to land those roles.
- Do they have close links with the companies and businesses they advertise for? Many companies use the same recruitment agency over and over again because they deliver good candidates. A close relationship between the agency and businesses will also ensure they have insider knowledge of job openings before other agencies do.
- What is the size of the agency? Though there are some very small agencies out there, the larger ones will often have closer links to the sectors you are looking at.
- Avoid agencies that don’t place much importance on meeting with you in person. Those that do usually place a lot of value on client relationships.
- Call the agency and speak to them. You want to sign up with a recruitment agency that is friendly, helpful, and places you at the centre of their operation. Ask as many questions as possible. After all, it’s your career!
Changing careers can be stressful and daunting. The best recruitment agencies understand that they are there to help candidates find suitable work. The most reputable agencies will want a good relationship with you and will want you to succeed.