With the invention of mobile and portable devices that browse internet, the time is not far when all the sitting and surfing of internet on a screen using the hard keyboard will be a thing of past. The Smartphone, iPad, and tablets are quickly taking over the desktop PC use. With these devices being available for a normal person, the need for desktop PC is diminishing. In addition, these mobile devices are changing the way people use internet.
The introduction of tablets is and will directly affect the internet marketing process, it will affect the site design, the SEO process, and all the strategies related to online marketing as a whole. Therefore, an effective online marketing strategy of a business must consider the effect these devices have on consumer behavior, and how do they use them.
Pertaining to the way people use tablets and other mobile devices during the day, and its affect on their behavior, Google released some data in Sep 2011. The constituent devices of this data were Desktop PC, Smartphones, and Tablets.
According to the data released by Google:
- The desktops are mainly used during the office timings of the day, from 9am-6pm.
- After 6pm, the use of desktops shows a significant decline.
As per the data:
- Smartphones experience an increase during the daytime, which fluctuates throughout the day.
- However, big spikes are observed in mobile use, when people are commuting in morning and evening, from home to work and their way back.
The stats regarding the use of tablets supersede all the other devices.
- Tablets have almost no use in morning, which increases a bit in afternoon, but climbs exceptionally in the evening time.
- 40% of tablets are used during the times of watching TV, eating, and cooking.
- During the weekdays, tablets are used to check emails, browse social media, viewing videos, and playing games online.
- During weekends, the use of tablets becomes a full time activity, people watch TV episodes, films, and perform other stuff, which people would do on desktop in normal days.
Change in Consumer Behavior:
The access to multiple devices has caused a change in consumer’s behavior. Now before reaching a purchase decision, a person might, first search for a thing on desktop pc during the office time, then he may search for it on the Smartphone on way back home, and finally he may search for it on tablet when he is relaxing on bed.
This change in consumer behavior directly affects the online marketing process, especially PPC management. Though Google AdWords shows the same add on all the three devices, but in order to get maximum traffic, a business should design its campaign by keeping the devices in mind. The different implications of these devices on a PPC campaign are given below.
- The first implication is on the view of landing page; every device will show the landing page differently to the user. Therefore, the ads need to be designed by keeping the device in mind. An ad for desktop might look too attractive or too dull for a tablet or a Smartphone.
- The other implication of devices is on the ROI of a campaign. With different devices, the bids per device rate will vary, so a PPC manager needs to understand, what the targeted market searches at what time, and bid on the ads accordingly, so that a higher ROI is obtained.
In short, the introduction of mobile and portable devices has revolutionized the online marketing process. Therefore, those businesses who adapt to these devices first, will have a superior and far greater advantage over the others.