Mobile application development has quickly become a powerful technological marketing tool that businesses of all sizes are seeking to utilize. However, there are several business professionals who make the mistake of creating a mobile app without truly understanding the needs of their customers and target population. Before you turn to marketing through a mobile app it is extremely beneficial to identify the common mistakes that can make app creation a waste of time and a marketing technique your business should never have taken on.
- Don’t forget about the security of your app! – Simply because you are creating an application for a mobile device doesn’t mean you can forget about the security of your app. Access to your mobile app means potential access to your business’ sensitive information, so security measures cannot be overlooked.
- Your mobile app is not a desktop app! – Desktop apps function very differently, and certainly more in-depth, than mobile applications. The employment of different methodologies and platforms is needed to make your app development a success, so don’t make the mistake of thinking that if you made one you can make the other.
- Learn from other successful apps, but don’t copy them! – The best way to learn what a successful app looks like and functions like is to take a look at some of the most successful mobile apps businesses like yours have created. Download the competitor’s apps on your mobile device and explore them, identifying what you like and don’t like about them. Keep these things in mind when you create your app, but remember not to copy anyone else’s apps.
- Make sure there is a purpose to creating your app! – Have you ever downloaded a mobile app, checked it out and thought what was the point of that? Most of us have, and consequently we end up uninstalling that app from our mobile device. You don’t want this to happen to your app! So, make sure that there is a true purpose to having your app created, whether it is to sell your product, share information or provide a service to users. Without a purpose your app will not be successful!
- You don’t have to make everything mobile! – Just because you have a mobile application doesn’t mean that your entire business has to be accessible through it. Mobile appsaren’t necessarilysuitable for all aspects of your business, so you will want to carefully plan out the services that you can offer through an application successfully and that your customers will appreciate. If you question adding a certain feature of your business into your app, then perhaps it is best to leave it strictly for desktop users.
As you explore a new means to bring your business to the fingertips of your community keep these common mistakes in mind. Unsure where to begin with your mobile app development? There are a number of online resources that are dedicated to providing a number of tips and plenty of information on perfecting your app for your target audience, because after all that’s who your mobile app should be for.
Image Source: http://www.virgin.com/entrepreneur/blog/mobile-apps-and-why-they-have-no-future