If you are in confusion that which lighting would be better for your home over those incandescent bulbs , then this article would be worth reading. Since the incandescent bulbs blows out very often they are being replaced by either LED or CFL Bulbs with the help of an emergency electrician , Since the lighting of our homes is responsible for one quarter of our electricity bill and these replaced bulbs are very energy efficient.
CFL and LED bulbs uses up to 80 percent less energy than their incandescent counterparts and lasts up to 25 times longer. Recent years it was heard that the phase out of incandescent bulbs began with the 100-watt bulb. While selecting one from LED and CFL bulbs , read all these features to get a better outlook:
CFL v/s LED Bulbs:
CFL’s are Simply Smaller Versions of
- CFL’s are much cheaper than LED Bulbs but LED lasts longer when compared to CFL’s.
- LED’s do not have any form of toxic mercury and thus free of any health hazards , whereas CFL’s contains 1gm-5mg of mercury which is a major risk to the environment.
- LED’s Turn on quickly, whereas CFL’s need to warm up to Turn on. And if the On/Off cycling is often in CFL’s the lifespan would be decreased when there is no effect to LED’s in such case. Average life span of LED’s is 50,000 hours and average life span of CFL’s are 8,000 hours.
- LED’s are not sensitive to the lower temperatures when compared to CFL’s , they cannot work below 10 degrees Fahrenheit.
- CFL’s are sensitive to humidity while LED’s are not.
- Lower energy consumption decreases harmful gases like sulfur oxide, CO2 emissions and high-level nuclear waste and LED’s consumes 451 pounds/year (30 bulbs per year are considered here) energy whereas CFL’s consumes 1051 ponds /year energy .
- There are not typical failure modes of LED’s whereas CFL’s may catch fire, smoke or emits an odor.
- LED make very nice lighting effects and thus used for decorative purpose and CFL’s only emits constant light.
- The LED bulbs do not cause heat build-up as they produce 3.4 btu’s/hour when compared to incandescent bulbs that produces heat build-up of 85 . Regular incandescent bulbs get hot and contribute to heat build-up in closed spaces. LEDs prevent this heat build-up, thereby helps reducing air conditioning costs in the home.
From the point of an expert electrician, CFL bulbs should be used for general lighting purposes and incandescent bulbs must be used for reading where instant light is needed. LED’s must now be used in very hard to reach sockets as their life span is long.